Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Nevada - Utah Mega Trip 2016 Day Five: Lehman Cave and Conger Spring

July 12, 2016

It's time to leave Ely, NV.  After 60-something miles, we were at the Great Basin National Park.  There is a very nice visitor center here, with explanations about the basin. It has been in use by humans for thousands of years.  It is somewhat isolated so there are some species of plants and animals that are only found here.

In the park is Lehman Cave.  While not the largest cave, it has many beautiful structures.  One particularly interesting one is called a shield.  This odd feature has a disk shape under which drapes and stalactites form.  Any idea how they formed?

A beautiful room in Lehman Cave

It's Bacon!

Some of the shields, the center one being the most famous

Heading east again from the park, we left the pavement again to go to Conger Spring.  A Pennsylvanian site, there was a hill that I called brachiopod heaven.  I haven't spread my finds out yet, but I'm pretty sure I have at least 7 or 8 different species.  There were several other families of fossils, too, such as colonial and solitary corals, crinoids, and bryozoans.

Now, this day wasn't quite perfect.  Two different vehicles required attention.  One is still on the side of the road, waiting for humans to come tend it.  All humans in our party are fine...

Given that, I haven't pictures of specimens from this day yet.  I will try to get some today to show you.  Of course, that just depends on whether or not I can stop myself from collecting in time today to do so.

1 comment:

  1. "When I was applying for a loan to purchase my building as a small business owner in a tough situation, conventional banks said they could not help me. Mr Benjamin, a loan officer sat down with me, heard my situation and decided that I was worth taking a chance on. Here we are 5 years later and I have just renewed my loan for another 7 years. I couldn’t have purchased my building without the help of Mr Benjamin and will be forever indebted to them for giving me a chance when no one else would." 
    I will recommend you to contact a loan officer Mr Ben on the information below if you need any financial assistance.Mr Ben Whats-App Contact: + 1-989-394-3740As well as Email:  247officedept@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete